Thursday, May 5, 2011

Osama bin Laden

I have resisted writing on the death of bin Laden, but I can't resist anymore.

Honestly, I am disgusted with the way in which the United States has reacted to someone's death. I do not that he was probably not the greatest of people, nor do I deny that he was a threat to our country, but does that really give us the right to celebrate a life ending? Consider this...he was someone's son, brother, husband, father. How would you feel if millions of people got drunk in celebration of your father's death? It's obnoxious, whether he was good or bad.

Not to mention the fact that killing him won't end terrorism. It's not like he was the only one giving orders...think about these things, people. He wasn't an idiot...I'm sure he had a plan for when he died.

Upon hearing the news, Katy Perry "tweeted:"

"I believe in justice... but don't u think that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind? ☹"


I have to say, I have a new level of respect for her. She obviously sees the negativity brooding in our country through our offensive nationalism. Of course, I'm happy and proud to be an American citizen, but nationalism, along with other selfish and prideful desires, is what causes war (check your history books).

Click here to see photos of my peers partying on the East Quad of Denison.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I don't see how getting drunk and screaming "USA! USA! USA!" really provides any glimpse of justice for those who died on 9/11.

Think before you speak. Think before you act.

"Loving the unlovable in others and yourself and realizing its one and the same is a secret to miracles."

No comments:

Post a Comment